Functional training has proven to be more than a fad – it has been a growing & visible fitness trend over the past 10 years. Functional fitness first appeared on the ACSM Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends in 2007 & has been featured in the top 25 ever since. Many facilities have responded by adopting open-concept, designated functional training zones within their facility. Creating space for functional training – even at the expense of removing some larger cardio and weight machines – provides ROI through ancillary fees from one-on-one and small group training. Functional training zones will also appeal to your non-training members who are beginning to understand and adopt this training style into their own workouts.
As you being to prepare your facility for 2018, update your fitness floor or your existing functional training zone to increase your member satisfaction and revenue potential.
- Designate the space with unique flooring such as turf or with a functional training rig with suspension trainers and pull up or dip stations.
- When possible, create your functional training space in an area that is visible to the entire club. Cardio machine bound members will see the results your clients are getting by training in this way and be drawn to the energy your small group training sessions create.
- Maximize the space with storage solutions to keep the space open and tidy.
- Stock your functional training space with traditional favorites such as kettlebells, medicine balls, plyo boxes, and battle ropes. Be on the lookout for new functional training equipment that can further increase the value and versatility of this space.
Unique training equipment will add value, “WOW” factor, and set your functional space apart from the competition. Here are a few of the latest functional training tools from Power Systems that will put the “FUN” in functional training:
– Vault Box: Help your members overcome obstacles – the Vault Box is 3 ft. tall with a wide base of support & is the perfect training tool to take your sessions to new heights. Lay it down on its side and it mimics the “ninja steps” of American Ninja Warrior or becomes a platform for modifications on push-ups, step ups, dips, and lunges.
– 2-in-1 Flip & Plyo: Combines the benefits of a traditional plyo box while functioning as a tire that can be used for flipping, lifting, and other functional training movements. Unlike a traditional tire, the 2-in-1 has an even landing platform suitable for users of all fitness levels. The reinforced handles and beveled edges allow for various partner training exercises and ease of flipping and carrying.
– Core Hammer: Accessible sledgehammer training – anywhere! The long lever and distally loaded end provide endless options for unilateral and asymmetrical strength challenges, core exercises and rotational, mobility and stability work. Ideal for small group training, one on one training, athletic conditioning, boot camps and more. Can be used on the ground, cement, driveway, turf, or rubber floors without damage.
– PowerWave: Portable, versatile, and dynamic tool that will become a fast favorite of trainers and members alike! Create thousands of exercises utilizing the various grips and holds. This is not your average sandbag or Bulgarian bag– the PowerWave™ also has unique features built in to help you maintain proper body alignment as you maximize caloric expenditure.
Get to know the latest tools in functional training – The 2-in-1 Flip and Plyo and The Vault Box